.

.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Dinoshark (2010)

An American Syfy action horror directed by Kevin O'Neill, starring Roger Corman.
A prehistoric shark melts off of a glacier and attacks the coast of Mexico. A young man and his friends must stop it.
I knew this would be trashy when I turned it on. An hour and 26 minutes went by pretty quickly with the fast pace. I found the plot to be stale, regurgitated and recycled. Who has not seen a film about a monster in water before? I did not care about the characters. It's not that I disliked them, just could not be bothered to concern myself with their welfare. Dialogue was written pretty poorly. Some of it reminded me of a soap opera (more on that later). QActing was obviously not a full-time job for any of the cast. The locations actually looked good. There was a variety of city, estuaries, beach, marina, open water that fit together, forming a cohesive overall location. Some of the camera-work reminded me of a soap opera as well. There was a scene at a bar in the beginning when some people leave and one guy sighs before the shot cuts. Special effects were what would be known as "budget style". Everything about the shark was done on a computer. there were very few physical effects of torn up victims, like a cast head floating next to a boat. Audio seemed pretty on to me. Being broadcast on cable TV, it needs to be more even than a theater film. Style brings me back to soap operas again. The color correction, high gain/grain, shot compositions and editing all looked like something from daytime TV. Chicago Now gave it 1/5, IMDB has it at 3.2/10 and Rotten Tomatoes has a 20% audience score. 24% average is not something to be proud of. I thought it was cheesy enough, but not quite sleazy enough. I rate it tolerable because it was entertaining by being hokey, but total trash otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment