.

.

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Science Fiction Volume One: The Osiris Child (2016)

An Australian science fiction directed by Shane Abbess, starring Temuera Morrison.
A fighter pilot has left his daughter at home when a crisis breaks out. His aircraft crashes after an aerial battle and he must find his way to rescue his daughter.
Definitely entertaining. I'm not mentioning duration anymore unless it strays from the hour and a half norm. This did not. The pacing was amazingly fast for a non-Hollywood film, but I guess that would be a sign of the times (pun intended). There was always something happening and the editing cuts were usually very quick. The plot held my interest all the way through, although some elements were a little stale. I did care what happened to the characters, but some of them seemed marked for death from the start. I thought the writing and dialogue were done very well. The little girl's narration really sold it to me. Some people don't like narration, but I think it can be beneficial. The acting was good as well. Sets and costumes looked very convincing. The city looked like a city, jail like a jail and desert outposts were sincere. What I really liked were the monsters. I don't know if it was costume or special effects, but it worked. Besides fast editing, the camera-work looked good. I could see everything that was going on and exposures were excellent. There were lots of digital special effects: spaceship battles, explosions, views of impossible places... and it all looked real enough for my tastes. audio was not too shabby. I could hear dialogue, the music was a little low and sound effects were a little loud. The future desert theme will always remind me of Tank Girl (1995). IMDB has this rated at 5.6/10, Rotten Tomatoes has 63% tomatometer with 45% audience score and metacritic has 55% METASCORE for an average of 54.75%. That is called a failing grade where I come from, but I saw no failure when I watched it. What I saw was a film that fits the standard for modern science fiction. I rate this good because it was entertaining, full of action and I liked the monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment