.

.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Pete's Dragon (1977)


A musical fantasy directed by Don Chaffey and Don Bluth, produced by the Walt Disney corporation, starring Mickey Rooney.
A young boy who is owned by abusive hillbillies has a dragon. The dragon helps the boy to escape from those yokels into the care of an alcoholic lighthouse keeper and his widowed daughter. While this is going on, a traveling salesman/swindler and his assistant are trying to get the dragon for their own personal gain.
This is a really crappy Disney musical, so why did I watch it? One reason: animated dragon. The plot and characters are alright, but obscured by the hokey musical numbers. I like how almost all of the characters have major flaws like getting stumbling and slurring drunk or being money grubbing bastards. I noticed that the hillbillies are always filthy and the events in their scenes only make them dirtier. I'm rating this o.k. because for a shit film, it's almost cool. There is also some sentimental value involved, as I remember watching this when I was very young.

No comments:

Post a Comment