.

.

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Alice in Wonderland (1933)

An American fantasy directed by Norman Z McLeod, starring Cary Grant and Gary Cooper.
A compressed version of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.
Holy shit! I didn't know that such great films were made in 1933. As far as early movies go, I would rank this among Nosferatu, Haxan, Metropolis and Journey to the Moon. The special effects were as cheap, cheesy and easy as they come, but looked so "in place". I liked that the plot spanned both sections and that it went through them so quickly. Watching a film this old should not be a long, drawn out process. I got a version on Archive.org with incoherent subtitles that I was tempted to pause and read for humor, but turned them off to actually watch the movie. The sets were absolutely beautiful and the costumes matched. I have to rate this best because for that time, it is one of the top 5 films I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment