.

.

Sunday, January 27, 2019

How to Be Deadly (2014)

A Canadian Comedy directed by Nik Sexton, starring Donnie Dumphy.
A motorcyclist hangs out with his friends and competes in a motorcycle tournament against his rival.
I found out about this because Donnie Dumphy wrote the "Cold Beer" song that I was obsessed with a cover of, performed by Jesse Stewart. The film itself is more along the lines of Slacker (1990) and a little bit like Mike Leigh "slice of life" dramas, with just a little bit of Clerks (1994). This is good. The camera-work and production were better and more creative than what I see as it's influences. The opening scene of riding the motorcycle through town was filmed in extremely creative camera angles. I can't even figure out how something with a crane on it kept up with Donnie on his bike so smoothly. The characters seemed real, like I've known people like them real. Their dialect was authentically Canadian. As wrong as the dialogue in The Mummy (1999) was, this was right. I was disappointed in the ending, but otherwise thought it was great. I rate this awesome. Watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment