.

.

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Alpha (2018)

An American adventure directed by Albert Hughes.
A prehistoric boy is injured and separated from his hunting group. When wolves chase him, he injures one of them. Unable to bring himself to kill it, he sits with the wolf in a cave while they both heal. Now a pair, they travel to find the boy's home.
I was not very impressed. I saw this in the theater in 3D and saw no need for that technology to be used on it. More than anything else, I was reminded of A Boy and His Dog (1975) and The Clan of the Cave Bear (1986). If anything, I think Alpha should have been filmed on an older camera system, possibly even in 4:3 aspect ratio with some nice video grain. The story has been over-told. Has anyone heard of White Fang? Any of the other boy and wolf or survival adventures out there? Same with characters. The only thing done really well was aerial shots of large landscapes. The animal and human fight scenes were not that impressive. The initial buffalo hunt is there to lure you in for a lack of action in the rest of the film. That saber tooth tiger or whatever it is in the cave during the preview fights for less than 5 seconds. I barely noticed the musical score, an area which could have been highlighted in this film. This is for those who like slow pacing and sappy endings, not for fans of 300 (2006) style action. I rate this tolerable. For the first half, I was wondering when it gets good. For the second half, I was wondering when it would end.

No comments:

Post a Comment