.

.

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls (2003)

An American documentary directed by Kenneth Bowser.
The stars of Hollywood talk about the '60s, '70s and '80s.
Oh boy, I really needed to see this shit about mainstream flicks! 2 hours was too much, but the pacing was moderately quick. The plot seriously went nowhere. Usually, documentaries about movies are supposed to make you want to watch the films they're about, but this did the opposite! I don't want to have watched those movies! Information density was pretty sparse. It seemed like people spoke on a single talking point for far too long. Selection of interviewees was top notch. These were the people involved in the subject matter and could not have been chosen better. I think that the subject matter itself is what repulsed me so much. These are the most popular films leading into the era of the blockbuster and I like the most obscure films most. The camera-work on interviews was textbook, but terrible. Every one of them was on the left with tons of headroom (image). Some variety would have been nice. There were endless kinestasises of still photos as well. Clips from the films were as sparse as the information density. Audio worked. I could hear dialogue, sound effects and music. I would call the style uncreative at best. IMDb lists a rating of 7.5/10 and Rotten Tomatoes 100% tomatometer with 81% audience score for an average of 85.3%. It is easy to believe that this got 100% on something because it's a mediocre documentary about mediocre films that were enormously popular for their mediocrity. Obviously, I disagree with so high an average grade. I rate this poor because it sucked a fat one, but wasn't painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment