.

.

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Girls Trip (2017)

An American comedy directed by Malcolm D. Lee, starring Regina Hall, Jada Pinkett Smith, Queen Latifah and Larenz Tate.
A quartet of women who were friends in college reunite in New Orleans.
Way to perpetuate racist stereotypes! 2 hours was too long to have to watch this. I had to watch the whole thing too because it's for school. Yes, this is part of a college curriculum. The simplistic premise had fickle, little sub-plots to fill time and add fuel to white supremacist fires. There is only 1 word to describe the characters: niggers. I saw them engaging in every negative aspect of African-American activity and culture that could be fit within the film. Same goes for dialogue and acting. The sets were not bad. I liked the zip line over the street most and it was the only joke that I found almost funny. Costumes were stereotypical, but I kind of liked the vests for the main characters. Camera-work and editing were not bad either. There was plenty of shot variety, with some dollying around characters. There were 2 instances of clear special effects. These were the zip line and some creative editing in a club scene. The audio was not to my liking because of musical genre and annoyingly insipid dialogue. This won 6 awards and has 6.3/10 on IMDB, 3/4 stars from Roger Ebert, 71% on Metacritic and 90% tomatometer, 80% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. 76% average C grade is astronomically high for what I saw. I rate it bad because it was annoying, insipid and racist. Coming from the guy who finds race-based stereotypes funny, it has to be REALLY racist for me to label it as such. This makes Bamboozled (2000) seem unprejudiced by comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment