.

.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Caveman (1981)

An American comedy directed by Carl Gottlieb, starring Ringo Starr and Dennis Quaid.
A physically weaker, but more intelligent caveman is cast out of his clan. He meets other outcasts and forms a new clan with them, but they are always opposed by the main character's former clan.
I'm glad I watched this, but wouldn't watch it again anytime soon. The hour and 25 minute duration seemed to go by quickly. Although the premise was simplistic, many sub-plots and various adventures were included. It was all communicated very clearly. I liked that the hero was the intelligent one against a Bluto-esque adversary. Dialogue and acting are an interesting subject for this film. The dialogue was all in nonsense caveman words, although the Asian caveman knew proper English. This could not have been pulled off without expressive acting. Call it over the top, absurd and comical, but the actors did a great job. Apparently, my sense of humor belongs in the late '70s and early '80s because I found this quite funny. Sets and costumes reminded me of classic caveman flicks like One Million Years B.C. (1966). The camera-work was mostly very straight forward and I could tell that it was meant to showcase the jokes more than provide accurate indication of geographic relationships. The dinosaur special effects were comical stop-motion and, again, reminded me of classic films of the '50s and '60s. I won't spoil it, but the best stop motion dinosaur is during the climax. Audio was pretty standard of the time. Everything was mixed right, but I found the soundtrack a little cheesy, hokey and cliche. Roger Ebert gave this 1.5/4 stars, it has 5.7/10 on IMDB, 3/5 of both ratings on AllMovie and 24% tomatometer, 54% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. 49% average is not good by any standards. I disagree with other critics on this. I thought it was funny because I've seen the all old caveman movies and got the jokes about them. If you don't understand what is being mocked, you will never find the joke funny. I rate this adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment