.

.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Alias John Law (1935)

An American western written and directed by Robert N. Bradbury.
A cowboy and his old, deaf partner get into a shootout with an outlaw gang and a local sheriff comes to their aid, only to be shot. He deputizes the young cowboy who goes into town for help. In town, there is a trial held to determine the heir to the estate of the cowboy's wealthy deceased relative. The pair of good cowboys has to prove legal rights to the estate, stop the outlaws and help the wounded sheriff.
This is one of the few films that I've seen with only diegetic music (no score or soundtrack, only triggered by characters in the film). The plot and characters were to my liking and I think that the lo-fi production and editing worked in the film's favor. I really like the old cowboy archetype in old westerns and the young hero was portrayed well as well. At about 50 minutes running time, it's like old western film candy to me, so I rate it good.