.

.

Monday, October 2, 2017

Jesus Camp (2006)

An American documentary directed by Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady.
An Evangelical children's pastor runs a religious summer camp. The pastor and some of the children speak about their beliefs.
Let's put religion aside for a moment and look at production. The interviews featured interviewees speaking about their strong beliefs and was accompanied by B-roll of the group engaged in their activities. The pastor pissed me off and I know she's stupid. A prime example is when she's talking bad about people being fat and she's over 300lbs. The video all looked like it was shot well and I could hear all of the dialogue very clearly. The editing was a little less than creative and unique, but got the point across. I don't think that the filmmakers intended any bias in their work. However, I think that it lacked direction and dynamics. Now for religion. These people have the best intentions, but they are flat out wrong. Every religion has puzzle pieces that make up the true nature of existence. The Evangelical Christians have 10 (commandments) out of a puzzle of a few thousand pieces. Their power metal is also quite epic. Unfortunately, religion is a decision and concept that I think only adults are capable of making and understanding. I say let the kids be kids while they can because they can get into religion if they want to when they are old enough to make an informed decision. Overall, a well made documentary about wrongly brainwashing children. I rate this poor because it's a complex subject matter that I don't think was covered sufficiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment