.

.

Friday, January 3, 2020

Gotti (2018)

An American crime drama directed by Kevin Connolly, starring John Travolta, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Stacy Keach and Chris Mulkey.
A gang boss rises to the top of his profession and brings his son up through the ranks to succeed his rule.
There's a little bit of information to know about this flick before I tell my opinion. The filmmakers spent far more money than was earned and it was rented by subscription through a New York company called MoviePass by the company releasing the film. 40% of the opening weekend tickets were purchased by MoviePass itself, which controlled the company which made Gotti. There was also a Rotten Tomatoes controversy in which the audience approval was 80% and critics scores was 0%. When you read quickly through, the company is acting like gangsters, but upon closer inspection it seems more like an extremely expensive publicity stunt. It has been nominated for multiple Golden Raspberry awards as well. I didn't think it was that bad. Sure, it was stereotypical and cliche, but what isn't these days? Besides being obvious, I didn't like that there was whisper acting. It looked fine, sounded good otherwise and held my attention some. It sure fit with the long line of gangster films I had just watched from my collection. I really wanted to post a still of the father and son, but the cameras are always over their shoulders. This was the best I could find (image). I rate it o.k. because it was just another gangster film. I would say to do some real research to decide whether you want to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment