.

.

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

13th (2016)

An American documentary directed by Ava DuVernay.
A discussion on racism and the prison industrial complex in America.
Pretty good. It was definitely on-topic all the way through and looked at multiple aspects of the problem presented. On my documentary scale, this was more talk than techno and more information than entertainment, which is how I like them. What I liked most was that it didn't just stick to a racism problem, but included the whole financial problem of non-white ethnicity, jails and poverty vs big business, power and greed. It explained how what started as keeping slaves slaves after emancipation turned into a runaway system of crime and punishment. It was also not just black people talking about racism, but white people too. There was one section which unintentionally prompted humor from me. Repeated violent criminals were referred to as "superpredators" and it made me think of Stan Winston's Predator (of 1987 film fame) and what would a superpredator be like if that was just a regular one. I rate this adequate, but I think that non-white folks would rate it higher. You might want to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment