.

.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

0.5 mm A.K.A. 0.5ミリ (2014)

A Japanese drama written and directed by Momoko Ando, starring Akira Emoto.
A young woman loses her job caring for the elderly and her home because of a fire. She drifts around, looking for misbehaving old men. When she finds one, she extracts room and board from him by threatening to call the cops and tell what he was doing.
There are many adjectives to describe this film: beautiful, tragic and Asian come up first. I've complained about 3 hour films being too long because they sucked, but this was worth 3 hours. Cinematography was absolutely amazing. I'm talking blocking of actors, camera position and movement, focus... It all looked great. Writing and dialogue were good too. I'm not sure if anything was lost in translation, but I understood what was going on and people seemed to be saying things that made sense. It held my attention and not only did I want to know what happened to the characters, but I cared whether they would be alright. The only thing in this whole film that irked me a little bit was the old man repeating phrases for too long. He was telling the woman about being in the NAVY and had these few phrases which he just repeated in different orders. It could have been shorter and still worked. When that's the only thing I don't like, we've got a winner "We've got a winner!" Requiem for a Dream (2000). I rate this best for being nearly flawless.

No comments:

Post a Comment