.

.

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Ox-Bow Incident (1943)

An American western directed by William A. Wellman, starring Henry Fonda.
A pair of cowboys ride into town and walk into a saloon. Everyone is talking about missing cattle and a murder. A posse is formed and some strangers are found, but are they the right ones?
Another film grouped with acid westerns. This one was also based upon the idea that the west is not a land of opportunity, but merely the pit of despair leading to death. I'm supposed to be accepting of black and white 4:3 films, since I'm so into movies and have watched so many. I really do prefer 16:9 color though. There was one really good group shot that I noticed (image). The plot of this kind of held my attention, but the characters were not developed very well. This did have a message about not jumping to conclusions, forming a posse and just hanging anyone who seems suspicious. Tragic and with a message as it may be, it was not entertaining. I rate it tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment