.

.

Sunday, February 2, 2020

Up series (1964 - 2012)

A British documentary directed by Paul Almond and Michael Apted.
Beginning at the age of 7, 14 British people are interviewed every 7 years.
This was definitely interesting. There is a 2019 film, but I was not able to find a copy. Given that I watched over 13 hours of material in a few days, I did get a little tired of repetition. If I had watched them on TV when they came out, I would have enjoyed it more and that is why the repetition was there. TV viewers are not expected to remember what all 14 people were doing for the past few chapters. I think the idea was a good one, if a little intrusive into the lives of these chosen people. I find that I share the most similarities with Neil. He was the one who was homeless before becoming a politician. I'm not saying that I am either of those things, but like him, I am viewed as an eccentric. There were some great quotes from the whole series and none of the people were boring. It was not quite as deeply informational as I would like from a documentary, but it was not completely entertainment either. There was no techno and mostly talk, so that was good. I rate it adequate and wish I had watched a few less of the episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment