.

.

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Ninteen Eighty-Four A.K.A. 1984 (1984)

A British science fiction drama based on the book by George Orwell, directed by Michael Radford, starring John Hurt and Richard Burton.
A dystopian future society forbids thought. A man who works in a "fact checking" job for a newspaper realizes what truth is and that he is being lied to. He meets a woman who feels the same and they have a romance, but are caught by thought police.
This is a weird one. I really like the plot and the ideas behind it, but this was extremely unpleasant to watch. I would classify this alongside THX 1138 (1971) and Metropolis (1927) as films about runaway governments. I really like the genre and wish that more people would get into this set of ideas because this science fiction is getting closer to present day fact every day. The characters in this film were cast correctly and acted their roles well. The video was very stylized, with drab city scenes, bright outdoor scenes and institutional torture chambers. It was the torture chambers which irked me most. It seemed too convincing and there was a scene with possible abuse of real rats. I don't object to Cannibal Holocaust (1980) having a real turtle mutilated, but there was a time when rats were my only friends and a pet turtle will never like a person. Editing was very slow compared to the newer films I've watched recently. Audio was generally alright, but there was some whispered dialogue which was too quiet. I have to give it a pink rating because I like the subject matter and the book, but not the film. If you don't know the story, you need to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment