.

.

Monday, July 15, 2019

As Tears Go By A.K.A. 旺角卡門, 旺角卡门, Wàngjiǎo Kǎmén (1988)

A Chinese crime romance directed by Wong Kar-wai, starring Andy Lau, Maggie Cheung and Jacky Cheung.
2 brothers are small-time criminals and one of them falls in love with a cousin. Problems with a gang lead to increased violence.
I think most of this was lost in translation. It doesn't look like Wong Kar-wai work, but the plot definitely fits what little I know of his films. I just have some interesting points to bring up. Hearing "Take My Breath Away" (originally recorded by Berlin and featured on the Top Gun soundtrack) with Chinese vocals was a little odd. There were so many translation mistakes in the subtitles that I could not possibly list them here. One character asks the cousin to give him a phone if something happens. At about 1:03:30 one of the brothers puts a gun into a gangster's pants to blow his dick off (image). I rate this o.k. because it just seemed like an average eastern crime flick to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment