.

.

Monday, March 11, 2019

Edges of the Lord (2001)

A Polish American war drama directed by Yurek Bogayevicz, starring Willem Dafoe and Haley Joel Osment.
A jewish boy hides in a catholic family during World War II. He has various adventures with the other children of the village.
Normally, anything that includes "During World War II" is a terrible waste. It has all been done to death like jews in a gas chamber. This was not typical of the genre. What I found to be so different about this was first, the leisurely pace gives the viewer time to process what is going on. Having the plot revolve around a group of children during that most military of times reminded me slightly of Stand By Me (1986) and It (1990). Obviously, it lacked the carefree childhood innocence of Pippi Longstocking (1969 - 1973) and Tom Sawyer (1973). The only thing that really put me off was the amount of handheld camera shots. I prefer the stability of tripods, dollies and other supports for filming. I'm rating this awesome because it made me want to watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment