.

.

Saturday, June 2, 2018

Burden of Dreams (1982)

An American documentary directed by Les Blank, starring Werner Herzog.
Herzog is filming Fitzcarraldo and nothing is going right.
No wonder Fitzcarraldo is an uncomfortable film to watch. This was in 3 languages: English, German and Spanish, with no subtitles. The information was conveyed slowly. I imagine that this was intended to mirror Herzog's film production. The interviews were great when they were in English. During one of Werner's appearances, he says something about god creating Amazonia in anger because it's full of fornication and murder. Being an aspiring filmmaker myself, I could relate to his problems and his resolve to keep going despite setbacks. It was cool to see the crew filming, but what impressed me about camera-work was the divine B-roll. There were majestic shots of local wildlife. IMDb has this rated 8/10, ALLMOVIE has a 5/5 AllMovie Rating with 4.5/5 User Ratings and Rotten Tomatoes has 94% TOMATOMETER, 91% AUDIENCE SCORE for an average of 91%. I thought it was good, but not that super-amazing. I rate this adequate. Maybe you will disagree with me and should definitely watch this mega-fucking-awesome flick. Maybe the "official" mainstream movie sites know better than me. That is why I include their ratings for comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment