.

.

Monday, January 5, 2015

Ungrip (2011)

A Canadian documentary by Ben and Dan Stewart, starring Rob Page.
A Canadian man decided to get "off the grid" a few years ago and explains his experience.
This is made by the same people who did Kymatica (2009) and Esoteric Agenda (2008) and very much in the same style. They use a smidge too much techno and it tends to drown out the talk. Another documentary scale that I use: techno vs. talk. I would compare what's actually going on most closely to Garbage Warrior (2007) and Out of the Woods: Life and Death in Dirty Dave's Homeless Camp (2012), but the production is more Zeitgeist (2007). If you are familiar with the films, you will see that there is a discrepancy between the content and presentation. There were some good points made and some scenes of interviews with Rob at his earth ship, but I didn't see the need for over the top music and doomy cut-scene descriptions of society. I would have done more interview with Rob about technical aspects of his new home and details about his dealings with local law enforcement. I would probably have tried for a more personal, emotional approach as well. Overall, I think the content was good, but the presentation sucked. I rate this adequate and would recommend watching if you can filter the media that you expose yourself to.

No comments:

Post a Comment